At Lewes Smith we recognize that every client is different in terms of need and expectations. Our service is always personal and we will always provide you with a written estimate and our terms of engagement having discussed your transaction with you first.
The legal fees quoted below are shown exclusive of VAT at the standard rate applicable
- Simple Will – no trusts or detailed tax advice £350.00 to £450.00
- A pair of simple Wills (spouses) £475.00 to £600.00
- More complicated Wills and Inheritance tax advice will be costed at our hourly rate of £250.00 + VAT
Lasting Powers of Attorney (LPA) – Property & Financial Affairs and Health & Welfare
- Preparing and registering a single LPA £450.00
- Preparing and registering the second LPA for the same client £150.00
- In the case of joint clients requiring four LPA’s the cost would be £900.00
Our charges are based on the time spent at our hourly rate of £250.00 plus VAT. We do not charge a scale fee based on the value of the estate.
- Our charge for obtaining a Grant of Probate on an estate which is not subject to Inheritance Tax is normally between £800.00 and £1200.00 plus VAT at the standard rate and can be obtained within four weeks of us receiving full instructions.
- Our charge for obtaining a Grant of Probate where the size and nature of the estate requires a full Inland Revenue account to be prepared (includes all estates where tax is payable) is between £2500.00 and £4500.00.plus VAT
- Our charge where we are instructed to administer the estate, that is gather in the assets, pay the liabilities and prepare estate accounts before distributing the estate to the beneficiaries, is based on our hourly rate of £250.00 plus VAT. For example, an estate valued between £700,000 and £1,000,000 would typically be between £3,500.00 and £6,500.00 plus VAT
Disbursements are costs or expenses related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursement on your behalf to ensure a smoother process. These are not subject to VAT.
The usual disbursements are:
- Probate court fee £170.00 (approximately)
- Oath fees £10.00 (if necessary)
How long will this take
Timescales depend on the complexity of the estate and whether HMRC are involved or not. As a guide a small estate with no inheritance tax should be dealt with within 4 to 6 months. A more accurate timescale would be determined once we have discussed your particular matter with you.